Foreign Modern Language – French
Purpose of study
At St Marys we are keen to promote the study of a foreign language because of its increasing importance in the modern world. We want to embed language learning into our curriculum. This has been recognised in the National Curriculum where there is the statutory commitment to give every child between the ages of 7 and 11 the opportunity to learn a new language. Enriching the curriculum and releasing children’s creative energy through sport drama, music and languages reinforces their understanding of the basics and helps them enjoy a broader, more balanced curriculum.
The experience of learning and using a foreign language makes its unique contribution to the whole curriculum by taking children out of the familiar environment which is pervaded by English and allowing them to explore the life-style and culture of another land through the medium of its language. This in turn provides a satisfying, enjoyable and intellectually challenging experience for children in coping with a different linguistic medium.
In French, pupils will learn to:
- read fluently
- write imaginatively
- speak confidently
- understand the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken
We aim to ensure that pupils:
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt.
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
We also benefit from the support from QES staff who also runs French Club after school, twice and week.
To support our curriculum we have utilised documents provided by James Hunt School for you to access and support chiidlren at home. FRENCH RESOURCES.
European Languages Day
We celebrate European Languages Day each year. This provides us with an opportunity to explore different cultures around the world as well as exploring the varying languages around the world.